Research Assistant/Associate - Software Engineer
The Process and Data Science (PADS) group, headed by Prof. Dr. Ir. Wil van der Aalst, is a new research group at RWTH focusing on the interplay between processes and data. PADS symbolizes RWTH’s ambitions in the area of Data Science and is supported through a recently awarded Alexander von Humboldt Professorship (Germany’s most valuable international research award with value of 5 million euros). The scope of PADS includes all topics where discrete processes are analyzed, reengineered, and/or supported in a data-driven manner. Process-centricity is combined with an array of Data Science techniques (machine learning, data mining, visualization, and Big data infrastructures). The main focus is on Process Mining (including process discovery, conformance checking, performance analysis, predictive analytics, operational support, and process improvement). This is combined with neighboring disciplines such as operations research, algorithms, discrete event simulation, business process management, and workflow automation. The chair of PADS is the founder of the process mining discipline and one of the leading computer scientists in the world. The ambition is to realize scientific breakthroughs which will help organizations to turn event data into business and societal value. Investments by RWTH, the Alexander von Humboldt foundation, and the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology make it possible to realize these ambitions. Software development plays a key role in the success of the PADS group. Therefore, we are looking for 2 talented software engineers specializing in data science.
- You have an University degree (Master or equivalent) or a doctorate/PhD in computer science or a related discipline (e.g., statistics, operations research or management science with a specialization in data and/or process science).
- You master modern programming languages like Java and Python.
- You have experience in realizing complex software, preferably related to data processing.
- You have experience in using modern database systems.
- Experience with Big data platforms like Spark and Hadoop is preferable.
- You have a genuine interest (or experience) in process mining and are willing to demonstrate this as part of the application process.
- You are eager and able to co-supervise students working on software-intensive projects.
- You have excellent communicative skills (also in English).
- You would like to co-develop software tools that are widely used and influence the field of data science.
- You will design, develop, and maintain software for cutting-edge research in data science.
- You will contribute to open-source data-science platforms like ProM, RapidMiner, R, etc.
- You will work with industrial partners that provide data and give feedback on research results.
- You will guide PhD, Bachelor and Master students developing software and have a limited involvement in teaching.
Within the Process and Data Science (PADS) group there are four smaller subgroups working on (1) foundations of process mining, (2) dealing with large/distributed/streaming/uncertain event data, (3) automated operational process improvement, and (4) responsible process mining (focusing on challenges related to fairness, accuracy, confidentiality, and transparency). There are two vacancies. Both software engineers will work with PhDs and Postdocs doing research in these subgroups. This includes being involved as co-author in publications and visiting national and international conferences.
What we offer
The position is a fixed-term contract and is to be filled as soon as possible. According to the individual qualification the duration of contract can be up to 4 years. This is a full-time position. It is also available as part-time employment per request.
The successful candidate does not have the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree in this position. The salary corresponds to level EG 13 TV-L.
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a “Family-Friendly University”. We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University. The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit.
Your contact person
For further details, please contact
Tel.: +49 (0) 241 80 21901
Please send your application to
Informatik 9 – PADS
Prof. Dr. Wil van der Aalst