Research Assistant/Associate (f/m/d) Software Engineer (Target: Promotion) in the area of Data and/or Process Science
The Process and Data Science Group, headed by Prof. Wil van der Aalst, is one of the research units in the Department of Computer Science. The scope of PADS includes all activities where discrete processes are analyzed, reengineered, and/or supported in a data-driven manner. Process-centricity is combined with an array of Data Science techniques. The group’s research and teaching activities can be characterized by the keywords: Data Science, Process Science, Process Mining, Business Process Management, Data Mining, Process Discovery, Conformance Checking, and Simulation.
The group has been established in the context of the Alexander von Humboldt Professorship awarded to Prof. Wil van der Aalst in 2017. The award is Germany’s most prestigious and valuable prize for international researchers. The PADS group supports RWTH’s strategy to further strengthen its Data Science capabilities. The group also closely collaborates with the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT).
Currently, the main research focus is on Process Mining (including process discovery, conformance checking, performance analysis, predictive analytics, operational support, and process improvement). This is combined with neighboring disciplines such as operations research, algorithms, discrete event simulation, business process management, and workflow automation.
- You have an University degree (Master or equivalent) or a doctorate/PhD in computer science or a related discipline (e.g., statistics, operations research or management science with a specialization in data and/or process science).
- You have experience in realizing complex software, preferably related to data processing.
- You have experience in using modern database systems. Experience with Big data platforms like Apache Big Data Stack, Hadoop, Spark, Cloudera / Hortonworks is preferable.
- You have a genuine interest (or experience) in process mining, data science, process management, machine learning, etc.and are willing to demonstrate this as part of the application process.
- You are eager and able to co-supervise students working on software-intensive projects.
- You have excellent communicative skills (also in English). Experience with commercial ERP systems (SAP, etc.), process mining software (Celonis, etc.), and (robotic) process automation (UiPath, etc.) is valued.
- You will design, develop, and maintain software for cutting-edge research in data science.
- You will contribute to open-source data-science platforms like ProM, RapidMiner, R, etc.
- You will work with industrial partners that provide data and give feedback on research results.
- You will guide PhD, Bachelor and Master students developing software and have a limited involvement in teaching.
- The position is to be filled as soon as possible and is temporary for 4 years. The position is for 1 year with extension to further 3 years is possible.
- This is a full-time position.
- There is the possibility of a doctorate.
- The position is rated EG 13 TV-L.
RWTH is certified as a family-friendly university.
The RWTH offers a variety of health, counselling and prevention services (e.g. university sports) as part of a university health management programme. There is also an extensive range of continuing education opportunities and a job ticket is offered.
The job advertisement is aimed at all genders.
At RWTH Aachen University, we particularly want to promote the careers of women and therefore welcome female applicants.
Women will be given preferential consideration in cases of equal suitability, ability and professional performance, provided that they are underrepresented in the organisational unit and provided that reasons relating to the person of a competitor do not prevail.
Applications from suitable severely disabled persons are expressly welcome.
In the interest of equal treatment, please refrain from submitting an application photo.
Information on the collection of personal data in accordance with Articles 13 and 14 of the General Data Protection Regulation (DS-GVO) can be found at http://www.rwth-aachen.de/dsgvo-information-bewerbung.
Please send your application by March 31, 2024 to
RWTH Aachen University
Informatik 9 - Process and Data Science
You are also welcome to send your application by e-mail to email@example.com. Please note that threats to confidentiality and unauthorised access by third parties cannot be ruled out when communicating by unencrypted e-mail.